Tuesdays Taste of Edinburgh

Unicorn gate post - Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

Unicorn gate post – Holyrood Palace

The Lion and the Unicorn - Holyrood Palace East Gates

The Lion and the Unicorn – Holyrood Palace

Since so many people seem to like my photos of Edinburgh, I’ve decided to do a regular Tuesday post called Tuesdays Taste of Edinburgh. Today’s collection was all taken at Holyrood Palace, at the foot of the Royal Mile.

Front door, Holyrood Palace

Front door, Holyrood Palace

Front Face - Holyrood Palace

Front Face – Holyrood Palace

Mythical beasts abound, and the whole area is peppered with unicorns, crowns and deer, everywhere you look. I love that my country’s symbol is a fierce magical beast, who can only be tamed by a gentle maiden. No wonder I have a vivid imagination.

Royal Unicorn - Holyrood Palace

Royal Unicorn – Holyrood Palace

Royal street lamp - Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

Royal street lamp – Holyrood Palace

It’s amazing to think of the famous feet which have walked these cobbles before me. History has literally poured out from this ancient centre of Royal power, and so have the myths and tales of magic. The Palace sits on the site of the even older Holyrood Abbey…I will take some photos of this another day…and the spot was chosen because the king, while hunting in the Royal Park stumbled upon a stag with a golden cross shining out from between his antlers. Magic sits just beneath the skin of the land here, seeping out unnoticed through the cracks and pores.

Gate house - Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

Goldilocks Gate house – Holyrood Palace

Twin Towers - Holyrood Palace, Edinburgh

Rapunzel’s Twin Towers – Holyrood Palace

This entry was posted in Edinburgh, history, photos, travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Tuesdays Taste of Edinburgh

1. Great photos! I love it when even the street lights wear crowns.

2. Lynne Ayers says:

I love the shots of the chimney pots and such a great sky day you chose for these shots.

The palace looks wonderful against the moody skies.

4. AL Borozon says:

What a wonderful idea to share photos of your magnificent city with us every week. I look forward to all of your posts, but will especially anticipate the Tuesday posts. Thanks for sharing with all of us!
    Con regard,
    Athena

• Oh I’m so happy you like the idea of the Tuesday post. I thought it would give me a good reason to keep taking my camera to different bits of Edinburgh. This blog give me such good motivation to keep taking pictures, and sharing them with everyone is so much fun πŸ™‚

5. gorgeous shots!!!
    and thank you for stopping by my space/blog!!

6. Carl Milner says:

Loving the dramatic skies, they add so much contrast to the historic buildings and mythical undertones πŸ™‚

• Thanks Carl. The skies were quite dramatic yesterday. We went from sunshine to a snow storm in what felt like the blink of an eye, and just before the snow fell we got that lovely dramatic backlighting…couldn’t have planned it better!

Majestic old buildings, love to visit someday! Beautiful photos, Mackenzie!
    Looking forward to the new Tuesdays Taste of Edinburgh πŸ™‚

8. May I ask if you are a native of these places? I cannot imagine what it feels like to simply live surrounded by such history and such beauty… I only “know” Edinburgh from 44 Scotland Street, and always wondered if it was the skill of the writer or is this city truly such a powerful place of beauty…

• Yup born and bred native of Edinburgh, but I never take the place for granted, it’s just too beautiful πŸ™‚ The history and the stories sort of creep in under your skin, and the place is so full of colourful characters!

• Regarding not taking things for granted – it is an amazing thing, I grew up in a big mining town with no wild life to speak of, not even a zoo. My son, however, is growing up thinking it is absolutely normal for deer, racoons, squirrels, large cranes and small bunnies to wonder randomly into his backyard. Moreover on weekends we often go to the local amusement park, where we take a small train through a wilderness area where he sees giraffes, zebras and other large animals within a hands reach, without any fences. I am always afraid if we ever have to move back up north, he will start asking me where are his deer and giraffes. He definitely takes all these miracles of nature for granted now! πŸ™‚

• Aw but be sounds as though he’s still very little. We adapt, and appreciate as we age πŸ™‚

• He is very little and I am sure he will be OK. πŸ™‚

9. Opalla says:

I just love the historical architecture shots.

10. Holyrood is one of my must visit places next time I get back to Edinburgh – somehow I’ve just never managed to get there! Thanks for reminding me πŸ™‚

• My pleasure, I suppose its a little off the very central core of things to do, but if you combine it with a walk on Arthur’s Seat, or a visit to Dynamic Earth, or the Scottish Parliament, or even the Queens Gallery and tea rooms, it makes a nice wee package πŸ™‚

11. loverj says:

“Magic sits just beneath the skin of the land here, seeping out unnoticed through the cracks and pores” Gorgeously stated. Beautiful pictures. I long to experience the history of Scotland…one day, one day…till then I shall live vicariously through your Tuesday posts.

12. Nice, should be an interesting series πŸ™‚

13. Good idea to post more from Edinburgh too – love it!

stunning, and the lowering sky adds just the right extra texture…

• Thanks! That lowering sky was a snow storm sweeping in. The temperature plunged and we were swirled back into winter…I took a few more shots but then hurried back to the warmth and dry of indoors πŸ™‚

15. Keep those pics coming…. it looks like I will be flying into Edinnburgh during my summer trip and looking forward to visit these amazing pieces of architecture, remnants from a long tradition…

• Glad I’m wetting your appetite for all things Scotland πŸ™‚ there is just so much history that sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. By summer hopefully things will have warmed up a little, it’s still so cold at the moment .

16. Su Leslie says:

My favourite city; the place I was born. Sadly I now live on the other side of the world and don’t visit often enough, so I appreciate your photos. Thank you, they’re lovely.

• I’m very happy to bring you little snap shots of our shared homeland. It’s unbelievably cold here at the moment though, so photos are a great way to see the sights! Today while I walked around taking these shots it was snowing on and off.

• Su Leslie says:

Thank you; I’ve been getting weather reports from my mum in England and a cousin in Kirkcaldy. Much as I do miss Scotland, I guess I don’t miss the winters.

17. kimtisha says:

Edinburgh is my favorite city in all the world and you’ve captured it beautifully in word and picture! It truly is a magical, powerful place – you can feel it in the air. My husband and I will be moving to Edinburgh in July. We are beside ourselves with excitement!

• Im so glad you can feel the magic too! No wonder you’re excited. I’m sure you will love living here, it’s such a beautiful city with so many places to explore. If you check back each Tuesday you will see more bits of the city to look forward to πŸ™‚ Are you moving for work or pleasure?

• kimtisha says:

We worked in Europe for many years and have owned a flat in Edinburgh for 15 years. Now we’re retiring and will split our time between Edinburgh, mainland Europe, and the US. Good times. πŸ™‚

18. Great photos – we look forward to moving to Scotland (Perth) this summer. Your blog makes it all the more fun to anticipate.

19. You’re lucky to live in a place with such history … I’m envious. D