Fairy Windows

20130709-001432.jpg
There are windows at the back of my house which lead in and out of fairyland. On their sills sit all manner of magical things, which come and go between the worlds at will. Things appear and disappear from these liminal spaces in the flutter of an eye. And if you hold one of the holed stones to your eye it’s said you can see the otherworld, the land of fairies and magic, through its stone lined circle.

20130709-002204.jpg
I don’t know if this is true, but I do know that the light plays strange tricks on the eye and mind in these in between spaces. The air can darken and fill with glittering light in a heartbeat, and in the shadows new shapes emerge.

20130709-002506.jpg
The light shifts again and the deep blue globe of ocean blue is filled with swirling forms, held in the weathered prongs of a silver fork. Neptune’s trident spears another prize beneath the glamorous petals of the fairies flowers, Campanula and Rose. Wreathes of petals decorate the portal, as the worlds shift their alignment.

20130709-003030.jpg
Everything loses form at the edges of the world, and the flowers bones lie exposed in the light.

20130709-003309.jpg
In the second flutter of the eye all is restored, and the enchanted light recedes across the window sill. Everything resumes its place, almost where it was, before to the untrained eye. But look closely and you might see the edges of the otherworld creeping through the gaps and spaces.

20130709-003818.jpg

This entry was posted in mythology, nature photo, photos, spiritual and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Fairy Windows

Wonderful Seonaid!

2. Pingback: URL

3. Magic – again, you do.

4. adinparadise says:

Absolutely beautiful writing and window pics, Seonaid. I love what you did with the photos. You have a wonderful imagination. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Intruiging imagery and very atmospheric. Loved the effects.

6. londoncab53 says:

Lovely as usual! I’ve been away at my youngest daughters wedding and missed you’re beautiful photography. After such a magical week, this was perfect!

7. Hanna says:

It’s a magical world we live in, thanks for your touching contributions.
    All the best,
    Hanna

the “flower bones’ are particularly magical

• Thank you Penny, I was playing around with the processing to see how magical I could get these still life shots to look….and I was very pleased with the flower bones ๐Ÿ™‚

I love these fancies – just the sort of thinking I need for my present journeys through a rather different fairyland, which is where the current novel is taking me!

10. frizztext says:

hi Seonaid, we have the same little tin house for candles like you – left on your window bench …

• They look so cute at night with a candle glowing inside….from Ikea I think….we have a few scattered around the place. There is something very magical about candlelight outside ๐Ÿ™‚

11. The penultimate interpretation is just perfect – I don’t believe in the fairies but that one could persuade me ๐Ÿ™‚

12. Gaye Abbott says:

Magical post my dear! I especially love the picture of the flowers bones!! I do believe in magic and fairies and the ability to see other worlds through the holes of stones. Could be because I have some Scottish heritage in my blood and bones….ye think? Love your writing and eye for the magic of life!

• Thanks so much Gaye, I wasn’t sure if I was stretching the bounds of reality a little too far with this post, so it’s lovely to hear that you’re there alongside me ๐Ÿ™‚
      Holes stones are such wonderful things, and I seem to find them in all sorts if places…..must be that magical Scottish blood!

13. Liana says:

are you even real?

Love these photos! They are so beautiful!

• Thank you Amy, I was having lots of fun playing with the processing and rendering, and so decided to post a few different effects. Everyone here has their own favourites so it was hard to pick which ones to use ๐Ÿ™‚

15. twoscamps says:

Oh! How lucky you are to have such a backyard!

16. Melissa Everett says:

As a collector of holed stones, this really appeals to me. Great job!