Rock Faces

20130421-124943.jpg
There are places in this world where the fabric of reality is woven a little looser. There are spaces between the threads, and strange and unusual things can push through these gaps into the light. Things from the otherworld, which lies just below our feet. The thin cloth of reality covers much, and allows us to create laws and rules of science and nature, and to feel more comfortable in our vast and chaotic world. But if you dare, come with me up the mountain and I’ll show you a place where faces which have never walked our earth, are pressing themselves through the rocks.

20130421-125946.jpg
Can you see them? Up here, where even the air is thinner, we can let our cloak of reason slide to the ground, and open our eyes in a different way. Let go, and let your mind play freely for a while, in the shadows and light of this high place. There are surprises just waiting to be noticed.

20130421-130628.jpg
Heads of dragons and rock giants, pressing themselves into existence, up here on the top of the mountain, where they think no one will notice.
br />
20130421-130909.jpg
Dozens of stone soldiers, watched over by the mountain hares, who box here under the moonlight. They scatter in a burst of white tails at the sound of our feet.

20130421-131620.jpg
faces from the otherworld, where dreams and myths are real, and we are figments of their imagination.

20130421-131838.jpg
But don’t tell anyone. Keep it a secret, because if too many people come, someone might notice that the fabrics loose and it might get reported. Then the threads would be pulled tight, and the spaces would vanish, and with them the rock faces.

20130421-132451.jpg
Walk softly and with awe in the high thin spaces of the earth, and many mysteries might reveal themselves to your eyes.

20130421-132832.jpg
You can find more posts on the theme of up at this weeks photo challenge.

You can find more mountain posts, at the Lets be Wild photo challenge.

This entry was posted in elemental, mindfulness, nature photo, photos, spiritual, travel, weekly photo challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Rock Faces

1. SUPER charming beautiful picture!

So many stories of times and people past in those rocks. What glorious shots of this fabulous scenery.

3. Mary Mageau says:

Such a lovely post – so imaginative, creative and in deep resonance with nature.

It’s absolutely glorious. All that austere beauty, and the whisper of eternal time…

• Oh Penny what a gorgeous comment, you’ve summed it up beautifully. Time definitely feels eternal in the mountains.

• icelandpenny says:

I used to visit our own Arctic a lot, and write about it, and I so carefully avoided ever calling it “harsh” — the usual lazy adjective applied to the region. I instead liked to talk about austere, hard-edged beauty. So there!

5. There is beauty in the barren-ness!

6. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: UP | The Adventures of Iñigo Boy

7. Pingback: Weekly Photo Challenge: UP | digital catharsis

8. There is much in our world to see and maybe, if we are lucky, to even understand. Mostly we catalog the things and events in our world. The bits of data we store hoping that at some point in our lives we will be able to dump out on the table and snap the bits together like puzzle pieces forming a pictures that makes sense to us.

• So true Charlie, but I find that the more I discover, and then understand, the more I realise I don’t know. It’s like the puzzle just keeps getting bigger and more complex, with even more layers and pieces…..the fractal puzzle of life……

9. Your closing words were perfect — “Walk softly and with awe in the high thin spaces of the earth, and many mysteries might reveal themselves to your eyes”. These rocks are a setting where you could sit for hours absorbing the nuances.

• I agree, I spent a good few hours up here, taking photos, and just sitting back and soaking it all in. Spending the time to slow down and absorb brings more awareness…for me anyway….and ultimately better photos I think….

10. Are you the “Rock whisperer?”

11. dorysworld says:

Just beautiful, you’ve really captured the atmosphere 🙂

12. Excellent set of photos – now I want to know where it is but maybe that’s a secret…..

• Ha, maybe I shouldn’t tell 🙂
      But just for you…shh, don’t tell anyone else….it’s on Skye, beside the Red Coullins. you walk up off the road to Ergol. It’s the same place I took the shots I used in Crumbling Stone Bones.

13. westerner54 says:

Love your writing. Made me slow down and really pay attention to the photographs and what the rocks are saying. Thanks.

14. Excellent pictures, each telling a story!

15. Words, ideas, and images … all dancing together … quite satisfying. Could the same ideas and imagery be conjured while walking an ancient wood? I believe so. D

16. wisejourney says:

Those rocks must surely have some tales to tell. I only they could talk…or do they….