Winters Bones

20140212-224928.jpg
We walked out along a line of Beech trees, and the low winter sun caught in our eyes, blinding us with shadows and glitter. The air was still as though the year was holding her breath, and bird song was scattered through the silence in crests and waves of pleasure. Between the long lines of tree cast shadows, warm bodied animals moved, camouflaged and almost unseen. Only the rustle of last years brittle leaves, and the hint of light on fur gave them away.

20140212-225612.jpg
The giant aged trunks of the trees framed windows between them, looking out across the open fields into the white light of the winter sun. In the empty exposed folds of the field the shoots of this years spring burst through the soil like soft green week old stubble. But we stayed sheltered by the lines and bones of the trees which held the structure of the land, despite the changing seasons. Here between the shadows, between the trees, between the fields and the deep woods we stood, and in this space we found ourselves. Winter had stripped everything back, and it was easy to discover the shape of things here, among the clear winters bones.

20140212-231036.jpg

This entry was posted in elemental, mindfulness, nature photo, philosophy, photos, relaxation, spiritual and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Winters Bones

1. Pingback: Winters Bones | breathofgreenair | My Website

2. Beautiful! All we have here is WHITE , so nice to see the fields!

I keep looking for the fairies in those pictures. Surely they must have been there a scant second ago?

‘The year was holding her breath’, yes that’s exactly it. Soon she’ll soothe a low sigh as winter releases her hold.

Winter bones, indeed. I think I love trees best in this season, so gloriously sculptural. Are the days getting noticeably longer now, and the light warmer in tone? We’re seeing it here, it must be even more so at your latitude

6. There is something really beautiful about bare branches. It must be the eternal promise that they hold. Love your title and narrative, Seonaid. Wonderful post, as always. πŸ™‚

7. Mike Howe says:

Beautiful Seonaid, love the photos and beautiful words, love the title even more

8. Lynne Ayers says:

There is such beauty in the bones of a winter garden or landscape, and of course, your words …

It is looking a lot like spring. Wonderful bare bones!

• They really are wonderful bones of ancient Beech, and although spring is hovering we had a little sprinkle of snow, which might mean winter still has a final word to share before she leaves πŸ™‚

10. I felt I was on that walk with you. Beautiful imagery and images x

11. Brenda says:

Beautiful even in winter, bones showing. So important to remember what matters, strength through any season. πŸ™‚

12. dadirri7 says:

we rarely see bare trees here GM, yours are lovely indeed, and your words the poetry of presence πŸ™‚

13. The photos are beautiful, and your description reads like poetry.

14. When I read your most gorgeous words I can hear your voice telling me a lovely story. You have a tremendous gift Seonaid. Thank you for sharing it with us.

• This is such a heartwarming response, thank you. I do feel that I’m left with stories rolling around in my mind after a walk in nature, I’m delighted that you enjoy the results πŸ™‚

15. Sharon K. says:

Very beautiful and warm images, Seonaid. I love winter, and we’ve had a terrific one, but to see green right now is a gift–thank you.

I love the smooth trunks of the trees and their delicate branches….the dried grasses against the pale green, and that blue sky with patchy white clouds.

Wonderful! πŸ™‚

• Thank you Sharon, I love the pale bright colours of winter sun on the land. Your winter photos have been stunning, and this year so far we have had nothing but a slight sprinkle of snow….so while I envy you your whiteness I’m delighted to bring you a welcome splash of green.

16. Yes indeed. Your beautiful wood, which lay exposed, is paused on the brink of spring. That balance is so delicate … but winter will soon yield. I can’t wait. D

• The brink of the wood, on the brink of the field, all on the brink of spring…..it was like walking between two worlds of light and shadow. We have had a light dusting of snow since I took these photos on Monday….so perhaps winter has a final word or two to say πŸ™‚

17. I always admire how winter shows the “true” shape of the trees; you call them ‘bones.’ But by this time of the winter, I am ready for the trees to get ‘dressed’ in their green leaves again. A few more months….

• Yes, just a little longer, but meanwhile these true shapes hold wonderful clues about the way things are…..soon to be hidden away by the layers of green clothes which surely follow the growing sun. I love these winter bones πŸ™‚