The Suns Passage

20140224-222040.jpg
Do you know the tale
Of the passage of the sun
Far below our feet each night
Through the cold and dark of space?

Or perhaps you know the tale
Of the white horned deer
Who steals the sun away each night
In the branches of her horns?

Hunted by the hounds of day
Who pull her back to earth
They place her shining in the sky
And herald her rebirth.

Created in response to the DP writing challenge object

This entry was posted in Celtic, elemental, mythology, nature photo, photos, poem, verse and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to The Suns Passage

1. haridasgowra says:

well said………
    The sun shine for a few trees and flowers, but for the wide world’s joy.

I’m led along an entrancing water valley to dip into shimmery gilding ….
    You transform simplicity in nature into something *other with your words and image Seonaid.

3. Your work is lovely, both in images and words. LOVE this photo!

4. This is just beautiful, what a haunting image, and I like the poem that goes with it….

5. beautiful.
    the photo is dreamy and so are your words.
    i haven’t read that myth but am reminded of Diana the Huntress with her chariot being pulled by wolves who swallow the sun only to regurgitate its burning flame every dawn ๐Ÿ™‚

You posed your subjects exceptionally well – experienced models, no doubt! ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Suzanne says:

Absolutely beautiful. I’m in awe.

8. joshiphotoeye says:

Nice..:-)

9. Liana says:

whatever is the superlative of AWWWWWEsome…that!

10. Another lovely poem with amazing imagery. Very nice!

I have never heard of that tale – but beautifully told by you, of course! The photo is wonderful – you really caught it perfectly.

lovely photo and I really like the thought of the sun going below our feet each night. So nice!

13. Light is always there, even though at times we can’t see it.

All day in grey rain
    hollyhocks follow the sun’s
    invisible road
    Basho

14. alienorajt says:

Lovely images.

15. Sharon K. says:

Simply wonderful. ๐Ÿ™‚

16. This is lovely – the photograph and the words alike.

17. What a great shot, did you have to stand in the water or was there a bridge?

18. Uncle Tree says:

I do know the tale. ๐Ÿ˜‰ And I love the narrow way, wet or knot.

19. What an unusual photo – it has a sense of mystery, even a bit of eerieness. I did not know the tale of the deer and its connection to the sun (or did that also come from the myth-making realm of your imagination?). Well done….

• Thanks Annette, the low weak winter light was hanging in an almost perfect orb, veiled a little by the clouds….I’m so glad I stopped as I drove past and took some shots. Looking along the sun lit waterway transported me into the land of myth….but the tales are all ancient, just woven fresh in my mind ๐Ÿ™‚

20. fifty5words says:

Agree love the photo but it is the words that draw me in. As I read I can feel the cool water flowing over my ankles and the crisp air filling my lungs as the sun lays down in the horizon.

21. Lovely Photo :). Can’t describe how much I like it :D.

22. Lovely, but that’s no surprise. I love your posts. The magic of each one is the surprise.

23. Colline says:

Beautiful and interesting photo. Where was it taken?

• Thanks Colline, I captured it today on my way back from walking the dogs on Yellowcraig Beach, in Scotland. It’s at the edge of Gullane golf course…..I just had to stop the car and go back to take some shots ๐Ÿ™‚

24. iosatel says: