Sun Worship

Bengal cat basking in sun.jpg
Summer lovin’ Bastet style. Nobody soaks up the suns heat as stylishly as cats, and our Bengal positively shimmers in the solar heat. The Egyptians worshiped cats, and cats worship the sun. Perhaps they have a drop or two of wisdom to share about looking beautiful and catching the solar light. Certainly it’s a love affair with heat. Her fierce leonine side was tamed with opium infused beer…..

This entry was posted in mythology, relaxation, weekly photo challenge and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Sun Worship

1. This is stunning…what a great close up shot.

Lovely. This is a very beautiful cat and a very special photo.

So glowingly enigmatic like a true sphinx πŸ˜‰

This photo surely captures the love of sun and the beauty of cats.

5. Robin says:

She’s beautiful! This is such a rich, gorgeous image. A goddess in the sunlight. πŸ™‚

6. Oh,this is such a wonderful glowing image of Bastet. Reminds me of The Great Sphinx I saw in Egypt, shimmering in the sunshine. πŸ™‚

• He is quite sphinx like now that you mention it….and definitely glows and shimmers in the sun. What an amazing sight the sphinx is, rising out of the desert sand…..

7. Such an amazing photo

She’s beautiful!

Wow – how gorgeous! Just purr-fect…

10. Joanna says that I’m supposed to give this a ‘double like’ if I can! She is biased though … I call her the cat whisperer. Have you ever read the Solar Cat Book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Solar-Cat-Book-Augustyn/dp/0898150183/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406593671&sr=8-2&keywords=solar+cat+book) … if not … it’s required reading for owners of solar cats such as your Bastet … beautiful animal with true presence. D

• Thanks to Joanna for the double like, and no I haven’t come across that book, so thanks for the heads up. He’s a great mouser, although sometimes brings them in alive to play with first, and he is heavy as he is pure muscle πŸ™‚

11. Awww, she’s a beauty πŸ™‚ Our too have been sleeping through the hot days and keeping us awake at night whilst they chase moths about the house!

12. boxertreiber says:

Smiling peaceful tiger πŸ™‚

Incredible picture! What a lovely feline expression. She definitely is a sun worshipper! I would love to hear the story about the use of the beer! πŸ˜‰

• Thanks as always Gwynn for your lovely comment. The beer was used, according to the myths, to tame the wild Egyptian lion goddess Sekhmet. Daughter of the sun and Goddess of fire, war and destruction, she had become so fierce and destructive that the ancient Egyptian priests came up with a plan to send her to sleep by adding opium to the beer she loved to drink……she became docile and gained a new name, Bastet, Goddess of the home, medicine, love and childbirth…in the form of a cat of course πŸ™‚

14. Madhu says:

She is gorgeous! Great capture Seaonaid.

15. “Cat worship”. That’s the word that fills me…

16. Rachael Charmley says:

Another beautiful image of your special creatures! πŸ™‚ Thank you