Skye Clouds

evening clouds Skye.jpg
There’s an almost mythical island which you may have heard of, drifting to the west, dipping in and out of view. Here the clouds and mountains mimic each others shapes, merging sky and mountain into an impossible tantalising illusion.
Some days the clouds sink so low that the island disappears altogether into the clouds, becoming one with the sky. Other days the mountains throw off their cloud cloaks, proudly baring their rock peaks to the sun, in a naked blue sky. But my favourite days are the ones where the hills shyly lift their veil into the gathering light and warmth of the sun. By late afternoon the cloud veils are swirling in impossible dances around the mountain peaks, teasing us with ever shifting scenes of light and shadow, over their smooth sloping shoulders.
The Isle of Skye is such a tease….

This entry was posted in elemental, mythology, nature photo and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Skye Clouds

That’s as lovely a place to linger as I’ve ever seen, Seonaid πŸ™‚

2. John Coleman says:

There’s a song on a Celtic music CD that I love, and I think it’s named “Skye Boat Song.” Same isle, I imagine. Tease is the right word. John

3. Robin says:

The Isle of Skye, from what I’ve seen in this photo and on your blog, is magnificent! Breathtaking image, Seonaid. πŸ™‚

Such shimmering beauty!

A tease, but a gorgeous one!

6. Beautiful, as always. D

7. LightWriters says:

ah, the inimitable glorious beauty of Skye…an isle of dreams and one of the loveliest places I’ve ever visited. (see my post: Ae Skye Song: http://5wise.wordpress.com/2012/05/17/ae-skye-song/ )

8. It is so easy to imagine how nature religions evolved, within the settings of such magnificent scenes where all the elemental powers come together. I can see the image of clouds swirling and rising around the mountains, like nature spirits…

• I absolutely agree, and those nature spirits wrapped in clouds are just so beautiful….especially where mountains are involved!
      All the elements woven into a scene of peaceful beauty…..

I love the skies and the mountains there under…there is something special with islands. When I was a child I dreamed of living on one. With my class, when I was 8 years old, I visited a small island off the east coast, an island without cars…where animals like cats and dogs ran free and could not be run over. That was my idea of a heaven.

• Islands are special, and I was fascinated with them as a child too πŸ™‚
      We used to try to get stranded on the tidal one in Plockton Bay…just for fun and drama you understand!
      I think the peace on a small island is wonderful…

10. beeseeker says:

Had a great week there last year and some amazing weather that made the views stunning and the cuckoos louder!

• The cuckoos are wonderful at this time of year…echoing around the hills. It’s a magical place when the sun shines, and wild and moody when sulking under rain clouds πŸ™‚

• beeseeker says:

… you caught the essence of this in your post; brought back the memories; the most abiding of which was, perhaps the quantity and volume of the cuckoos.
        But now that I think of it …
        πŸ™‚
        Thanks

11. Ese' s Voice says:

Very alive and beautiful descriptions…and the photo is so inviting…

That would be my favorite day! Truly beautiful, Seonaid, πŸ™‚

13. I love the image of dancing clouds, Seonaid. πŸ™‚

Your photos and descriptions are dazzling and breathtaking as always. This time they remind me of the Olympic Peninsula surrounding Poulsbo where I live. There are times the clouds settle on the water like a thick, fluffy, blanket of cotton. Then I keep waiting for a unicorn, fairies, or Pete’s Dragon to rise up into the sky to greet me. It sounds like your area is very similar… gorgeous!

• Well Gwynn the scene you describe sounds wonderful….I can picture it perfectly from your lovely description πŸ™‚
      There is something wonderful about the combination of water, mountains and of course fluffy fairy tale clouds!

15. Sharon K. says:

What a beautiful, serene scene, filled with everything one could want in a pleasing landscape. Your narrative is lovely, as always πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

Thank you for sharing. I’ll just sit a while and take in all in…………………….

16. Beautiful photo of a gorgeous country. Lucky woman. πŸ™‚