Summer Mist

Summer in the land of mist leaves veils scattered carelessly across the landscape. Whole mountain ranges and islands can be swept in and out of view in moments, as the mist drifts through, trailing mystery in her wake. Some days the air is so still that the mist sits cloud like, unmoving, altering the familiar landscapes into vistas previously unseen. The sea shimmers like liquid silver, and a timeless air surrounds the earth. All sorts of people and creatures can cross through time in the veiled folds of warm summer mist. A hush holds the air breathless waiting for mystery to unveil herself and reveal the present to our hungry eyes.

These photos were captured last month around Plockton and Kyle of Lochalsh, the day after a wild lightning storm.

This entry was posted in elemental, nature photo, spiritual and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Summer Mist

1. inkenwells says:

Amazing photos. I love to be reminded that there are places in this world that can transport us from the mundane day to day and remind us that the world is a wonder.

2. I live next to a 14,000 foot mountain and the most amazing thing for me about it is that the clouds can hide all or part of it during the day.

So beautiful! Hope you’ve been having a great summer, Seonaid ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

so much atmosphere in this one, Seonaid. Actually in all of your images ๐Ÿ™‚

Strange how your photos’ glowing mystery swims beautifully in the mist, while my Plockton photos don’t…Lovely words as usual too. Hugs and love from us in Sweden – to all members of your family.

6. Andrew Seal says:

These are just wonderful Seonaid. I may just have to paint the first one. “timeless air”, “liquid silver” – you paint with your words too. Breathtakingly beautiful ๐Ÿ™‚

Wow wow wow – gorgeous and mystical!

8. Breath of fresh air! Gorgeous ..

9. Nice to see you in my Reader this morning Seonaid. Nice shots. I wonder if you write metaphorically, or should I take your words as they are? Somehow, when I viewed the first image, I saw a tropical island .. complete with palms! D

You are using a colour camera, right? I first thought you had switched to B&W (a genre I enjoy greatly), but then saw a fringe of deep-tobacco beach beneath the B&W water, mountains & mist, proving that it was simply a largely B&W moment in a full-colour world. Lovely. Evocative.

11. Totally stunning, Mrs. Quite different to the brilliant sunshine today though ๐Ÿ™‚

Another wonderful post Seonaid with all your magic for us ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Mysterious and beautiful captures, Seonaid. Your words held me enthralled.

14. Sue says:

Wonderful images, Seonaid…and I thought I recognised Plockton despite only having visited once, very briefly, in the pouring rain!

15. Your writing and photographs are beautiful!

16. Rachael says:

Lovely. So stunning and evocative, so primordial, and so so Scottish ๐Ÿ™‚

WOW Seonaid, your photos are incredible. I imagine these scenes in ancient picture books! I realize the Lochness monster is not from these parts, but I could visualize it appearing. Hopefully, the lightning storm did no damage. Thanks for opening up your world to me!

• Hey Gwynn, Loch isn’t too far inland from here….maybe half an hour by car…..so who knows maybe the beastie, or even the beasties cousin might indeed appear between the folds of mist๐Ÿ˜œCertainly a selkie or two might pop up from the water!